Retailers and Contractors: Here's How to Avoid a Fine When You Sub Out Work

12 Jul 2017 2:24 PM | Anonymous

Retailers and Contractors: Here's How to Avoid a Fine When You Sub Out Work

The SC Manufactured Housing Board has been fining dealers and contractors who sub out set-up and repair work. 

People who do installation or repair work for retailers must either: a) be a W-2 employee, or b) have their own license from the SC Manufactured Housing Board.

A retailer can do repair or set-up on homes they sell without getting a separate installer or repairer license from the state agency.  But the SCMHB says the dealer can’t sub the work out unless the person doing the set-up has an installer or contractor license.  At recent hearing the board said the contractor’s license should be from the SCMHB, not a license issued by another agency such as the Residential Builders or Contractor’s Licensing Board. 

The agency has also fined licensed contractors who subbed work out to another crew not under a licensed contractor. What matters to the licensing board is not whose name is on the paperwork but who is actually doing the work.

Read more:

It's our Annual Convention & 50th Anniversary!

Announcing Additional Special Guests

Thank You to our Sponsors!

Anniversary Playlist

Hotel Info

Meeting Agenda & Officer Slate

Feds Say SC Must Change Set-up Standards for Homes Without a Manual

MHISC is the voice of the manufactured and modular home industries in South Carolina.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software